Agnès from 5 to 7 | 1928-2019




“I live in cinema. I feel I’ve lived here forever.” – Agnès Varda

To put it in terms of the modern lexicon, Agnès Varda was a baller. And I don’t even know if that’s a good enough word. Whatever comes after baller, that’s what she was.

The first time I heard of Agnès Varda, it was the summer before my senior year of high school. A friend had recommended I watch “Cleo from 5 to 7.” Much to my own dismay, I still have yet to get around to that one – I will, don’t worry – and it wasn’t until “Faces Places” was released on Netflix that I came into contact with her work. As one of the few female directors of the French New Wave, Agnès has become an iconic figure in the world of film. Her films represent women and all people in a truthful and respectful way. They are full of a unique, unstoppable love for life.

“Faces Places.” The chronicling of her adventures across France with artist JR is endearing and unflinchingly honest. It was made with immense amounts of joy and friendship. The film truly lets you get a glimpse into Agnès’s spirit, energy, and personality. While she was in her late 80s when the film was made, she is such a vibrant character on the screen. Watching her interact with both JR and the people that they meet on their journey is completely captivating. She holds her own in a world that has changed immensely since 50s and 60s France and never stops seeing the beauty in it all.

The earth was lucky to have her, and I for one am very thankful for the films she left us with.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts