Review: Marriage Story (2019)

Bold prediction: Adam Driver wins best actor in 2020 for his role in Marriage Story. “If he doesn’t, I’m suing,” chimes in my roommate, reading this over my shoulder. Honestly, me too. Between performances in Girls to Kylo Ren to working with directors like Jim Jarmusch and Noah Baumbach, the man deserves it.

I have yet to get to Honey Boy, Bombshell, and the Irishman, but I think that Marriage Story is going to be my favorite film of the year. It was so real. The fight between Johansson and Driver’s characters in his new apartment and the scene when Driver accidentally cuts himself during the evaluation particularly stood out to me. Laura Dern’s performance as Nora was also strong, and I see a lot of awards season buzz happening for her (“awards season buzz.” What a horrible thing to say). She captured the Los Angeles mom so perfectly and hilariously while also being a total badass.

This movie is now released on Netflix, which surprises me a little because I felt like seeing it in a theater was a necessary experience. However, a Netflix release means you have no excuse not to watch it! Seriously.


Comments

Popular Posts