Toss a coin to "The Witcher" season two

I keep telling people to watch The Witcher. “It’s really bad,” I say. “But it’s so good.”

I didn’t know anything about this Polish book series/video game phenomenon until a week and a half ago, when I started the Netflix show on a whim and proceeded to finish the entire thing in four days. Winter break has its perks. Regardless of what critics are saying, any show taking place in a world I know nothing about that can suck me in through the whole thing must be doing something right.

The production design and CGI look absolutely terrible. The cinematography is inconsistent at best, with moments that look like an HBO series and others that look like it was filmed on a Flip camera and lit with a flashlight. The storyline is confusing and hard to follow, especially for someone who drops in unannounced to a fantasy world spanning three video games and seven books. But I couldn’t stop watching. I don’t even like video games and I’m sitting around, considering arming myself with a game console and taking to the world of 1s and 0s.

What it all comes down to is that The Witcher has heart. It’s believable. I care about what these characters are doing and where they’ll go next. I am rooting for Geralt, Yennefer, and Ciri, even if I don’t exactly know what’s going on one hundred percent of the time. It’s funny, it’s intense, it doesn’t take itself too seriously. It’s far from perfect, but maybe it doesn’t want to be. And Henry Cavill is insanely good as Geralt of Rivia. Insanely good. And the show, I am confident, is only going to get better with time.

Bold prediction: when 2021 rolls around, season two of The Witcher is going to explode Netflix. Maybe even destroy the internet. They’ve had a season to get on their feet, and now know that people will be watching. They can up the production design, special effects, and cinematography tenfold, and I think they are going to make a show that is astronomically good. We don’t need the next Game of Thrones; we just need The Witcher.




Another extremely interesting article: 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2020/01/01/the-witcher-can-be-better-than-game-of-thrones-because-it-has-a-better-ending/#5a0ad81e2d3b

Comments

Popular Posts