If I Ran the 2020 Academy Awards...

Here we are again. Maybe not how it will go down, but how it should go down…

ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE – 

Adam Driver, MARRIAGE STORY

My roommates say that this is the year for Joaquin Phoenix, and that Adam Driver will have thousands of more performances just as amazing (or better) than this, but I’d give him the trophy.

ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE – 

Brad Pitt, ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD

Brad Pitt was the highlight of this movie for me.

ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE –

Renée Zellweger, JUDY

ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE –

Laura Dern, MARRIAGE STORY

This was a tough one, but in the end, I think I would go with Laura Dern’s Erewhon-loving, Joans on Third ordering divorce lawyer portrayal.

ANIMATED FEATURE –

Laika makes the most amazing and beautiful animated movies, I have to say, and I’d probably go with Missing Link. But I think it is a little weird that the Academy ignores the third highest-grossing movie of 2019, Frozen II, even though I have yet to see it.

CINEMATOGRAPHY –

Roger Deakins, 1917

COSTUME DESIGN –

Arianne Phillips, ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD

DIRECTING –

Bong Joon Ho, PARASITE
I do think they will end up giving the award to Sam Mendes, who definitely deserves it, but Parasite was insane.

DOCUMENTARY FEATURE –

FOR SAMA, Waad al-Kateab and Edward Watts

FILM EDITING –

Yang Jinmo, PARASITE

FOREIGN LANGUAGE – 

PARASITE

MAKEUP AND HAIRSTYLING –

Kazu Hiro, Anne Morgan, and Vivian Baker, BOMBSHELL

They literally turned Charlize Theron into Megyn Kelly, which I have to say deserves a trophy.

MUSIC (ORIGINAL SCORE) –

Randy Newman, MARRIAGE STORY

MUSIC (ORIGINAL SONG) –

I would like Sing Street (2016) to win best original song.

PRODUCTION DESIGN –

Barbara Ling and Nancy Haigh, ONCE UPON A TIME…IN HOLLYWOOD

SHORT FILM (ANIMATED) – 

See below.

SHORT FILM (LIVE ACTION) – 

Honestly, I have seen none of these and I just looked at all of their synopses and they look amazing. So, my thoughts on these are to come.  

SOUND EDITING –

Oliver Tarney and Rachael Tate, 1917

SOUND MIXING –

Mark Taylor and Stuart Wilson, 1917

VISUAL EFFECTS –

Guillaume Rocheron, Greg Butler, and Dominic Tuohy, 1917

WRITING (ADAPTED SCEENPLAY) –

Taika Waititi, JOJO RABBIT

WRITING (ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY) –

Bong Joon Ho, Han Jin Wan, PARASITE

BEST PICTURE –

PARASITE, Kwak Sin-ae, Moon Yang-kwon, Bong Joon-ho

See you on February 9th !!


Comments

Popular Posts