We're all sleeping on "Sex Education"

“Euphoria” who? We’re all sleeping on “Sex Education.” Okay, okay, I’m a good year late to this party, but damn. Netflix’s “Sex Education” is the best TV I’ve seen in a while. If you’re not watching it, you should be.

Like most Gen Z-ers, the neon lighting, glitter, and aesthetically pleasing cast of “Euphoria” was enough to sway me into its dark embrace. I’ll admit it, I was into it. But where “Euphoria” is flawed, “Sex Education” is (dare I say it) perfect. First of all, the acting doesn't suck. But the biggest thing for me is that “Sex Education” doesn’t take itself too seriously. It’s awkward and real, depicting teenage sexuality with compassion and honesty. I’m here for it.

Gillian Anderson and Asa Butterfield (…Woah! Where has he been!) completely steal the show. Butterfield plays Otis, the late-blooming son of Jean, a famed sex therapist (played by Anderson). The series follows Otis and his friends as he starts his own own “clinic” at school, advising his peers on their sexual misguidances. It. Is. Funny. You’ll cringe at least twenty times an episode, wanting to crawl into a hole as you watch characters go through the trials and tribulations of growing up. But you’ll love it.

But the real strength in this show lies in its minor characters, who are anything but minor. They fuel the show’s message and make it the show with the most heart I’ve ever experienced. I would be remiss to review “Sex Education” without mentioning Jean’s plumber, Jakob, who kinda came out of nowhere and carried one of my favorite subplots of the show. Whoever Mikael Persbrandt is, I would like to see you in more movies, you Danish God. Tanya Reynolds’ performance as alien sex-obsessed Lily was another of my favorites. She was weird and wonderful and her outfits were killer. It is characters like these that anchor the show in reality, making you care that much more. No matter who you are or where you’re from, you’ll see some part of yourself in “Sex Education.”

So, while I’m not sure if the second season (released on Netflix in January) will be as magical for me as the first, I am glad that a show like this is on the air. “Euphoria” who, indeed.



Comments

Popular Posts