From Mookie to Mudbound: Movies to watch this month (and always).

 “White people still ask me why Mookie threw the can through the window. Twenty years later, they’re still asking me that. No black person ever, in 20 years, no person of color has ever asked me why.” – Spike Lee

The following list needs no introduction. I hope these films will inspire and educate, bring you understanding and hope, and spark action for a better world. Some are my favorites, some I have yet to see, all you will never forget.

1.     Black Orpheus, dir. by Marcel Camus

My personal favorite on this list, this beautiful and tragic film is a retelling of the Greek myth of Orpheus and Eurydice – set during Carnaval in Rio De Janeiro. I have yet to watch it on a screen larger than a laptop, something I must remedy as soon as possible.

2.     Do the Right Thing, dir. by Spike Lee

Relevant today, tomorrow, and yesterday, this is Spike Lee’s masterpiece. If you’re gonna watch any movie on this list, make it this one.

3.     Attack the Block, dir. by Joe Cornish

4.     Paris Is Burning, dir. by Jennie Livingston

There is truly no documentary like this. Paris Is Burning captures a decade, a culture, and a community with extreme care. There is much to be discussed in this hour and eighteen-minute film, from race to gender to sexuality to self-expression to misogyny (I could go on forever).

5.     Mudbound, dir. by Dee Rees

6.     Black Girl, dir. by Ousmane Sembene

For anyone who thinks that systematic, institutionalized racism is solely an American problem.

7.     Beasts of the Southern Wild, dir. by Benh Zeitlin

Things to read (with a cinematic slant):

“Where Are the Serious Movies About Non-Suffering Black People?” by Roxane Gay, https://www.vulture.com/2013/11/12-years-a-slave-black-oscar-bait-essay.html

“28 Days, 28 Films for Black History Month” by Manohla Dargis and AO Scott,

^While from 2018, this article offers a much more extensive list than I could ever compile and I encourage you to learn about and check out some of the films highlighted.

Take action:

Justice for Breonna Taylor
  
Justice for George Floyd
  
Willie Simmons has served 38 years for a $9 robbery
  
Justice for Sandra Bland
  
Justice for Ahmaud Arbery

And finally, a thought-provoking article on prison abolitionist Ruth Wilson Gilmore:





Comments

Popular Posts