Happy memories from Big Sky Country

My journal entry from September 1st reads that it was “the best night on the ranch so far. On the porch…I was crying laughing. I can’t even put it into words.”  

I was incredibly lucky (truly, luck played a major role in coming to the ranch) to be able to work at all this summer, let alone an in-person job. It’s strange to think that this was the best summer of my life when it was the worst one globally, when I can see the smoke from Oregon and California on my walk to the kitchen in the morning.

 

Perhaps this is foolish, but this summer on the ranch has made me optimistic about a lot of things. It’s four days until close, the last guests have left, and we haven’t had a single case of COVID-19. We followed CDC guidelines and it worked out. This wasn’t the case at neighboring guest ranches, where social distancing and mask rules were almost completely ignored. This summer makes me hopeful that if we all follow COVID-19 guidelines, if we all mask up, if we’re truly all in this together, things will get better – things will get to a new normal.

 

Happy memories…

 

Reading on the second floor balcony of the main house, the best medicine.

 

My walks to the kitchen in the dark of the morning, the coldest I’ve ever been, feeling like I am the only person around for miles.

 

Running to Sentinel Rock with Tristin and Sam and jumping in the Blackfoot river afterwards.

 

Swimming across Harper’s Lake and floating in the middle for a while.

 

My runs through the woods in June and July. 

 

Hiking around Harper’s Lake and Blanchard Lake, tallboys in hand, using the rope swing.

 

Going on a drive through Ovando one morning after the breakfast shift. Falling asleep in the car, the windows open, incredibly cold…

 

Riding up to Johnny’s Overlook and Cougar Cliffs with Stella and a crew of guests.


Becoming the second-best industrial dishwasher on the ranch.


Every time Magee sang “Beauty Way” by Eliza Gilkyson at a campfire.

 

Sticky-noting an entire room in Hillview as a prank.

 

Crying in the dining room because I had messed up three different toast orders but laughing about it later.

 

The Board Game.


Arriving early to the breakfast shift and being confused for a 35-year-old blonde man. This is a very long story.

 

Riding Chief. Chief used to be a mustang. He loves puzzles, so when you tie him up in the middle of the ride, you have to do it a special way because he loves untying knots.

 

When one of the chefs asked me “if I had a cool older brother or something,” whatever this means.

 

Hiking to Sentinel Rock with Sam and Dustin (and some grass).

 

Playing the White Christmas soundtrack in the kitchen, and telling one of the chefs that “I want you to get married. I want you to have nine children. And if you only spend five minutes a day with each kid, that’s forty five minutes, and I’d at least have time to go out and get a massage or something!!!”

 

Saran wrapping the bunkhouse, where the guys live.

 

Sitting on the Hillview porch, always a good time.


Accidentally becoming famous for dropping pizzas. One day, my friend dropped cookies on the floor and was asked if she "was trying to be Katie or something." Ha.

 

The last staff ride with Annie, riding through the Blackfoot river to the Blackfoot jumping pit, and laying in the grass with everyone.

 

In August, my Grandmother texted me that I should savor every moment in Montana for stressful times. And she is right. Maybe I shouldn’t view summers and years in terms of best and worst, bad and good, but instead appreciate them all for what they have taught me.




Comments

Popular Posts